Moosehead-Penobscot Region Maine – North Forest Canoe Trail
- Moosehead/Penobscot Region: Maine, Moosehead Lake to Umbazooksus Stream (Trail section 11): Moosehead Lake is largest lake in Maine Thoreau traveled this section of the NFCT and wrote of his trip in The Maine Woods.
- Here the Trail takes you under Mount Kineo’s dramatic cliffs, rising from water.
- And on this section you can visit the historic village of Chesuncook on Chesuncook Lake.
- The village is only accessible by boat or float plane and known among paddlers for its homemade root beer and fudge.
- Paddlers looking for a wilderness escape will love this undeveloped region where rustic camps and moose are more common than roads.